Used Forklifts For Sale in Columbus Ohio
Shop through all of our affordable & priced to sell used forklifts in Columbus Ohio. We carry several brands of electric forklifts, pallet jacks, order pickers, reach trucks, work platforms, personnel carriers, pneumatic & cushion forklifts. Our most popular brands are Yale, JLG, Taylor-Dunn, Utilev & SkyJack.
Tips For Buying a Used Forklift
- Look at the age of the forklift. If a forklift is under 5 years old and has a high amount of hours you might be better off purchasing or renting a new forklift. This is because the maintenance and service costs will likely be higher for the used equipment.
- Compare the hours on the forklift and the age. Equipment with 1,000 hours a year or less is considered part-time use. Whereas heavy use is over 2,000 hours. Aim for equipment that has about 1,000 hours or less for every year, so if you’re looking at a 6 year old forklift and it has 5,200 hours on it then it is more likely to hold up its value and have less wear and tear.
- Ask what applications the equipment was used in. Extreme applications are hard on the forklift. As a result you will find yourself spending more money on maintenance costs. Examples of extreme applications are ones that contain salt-water, have extreme cold (freezer applications), have humid environments and high outdoor use applications.
- Visit the dealer and ask for a demo. Similar to buying a used car, bring a technician to inspect the equipment. The areas that you should focus on when inspecting are:
- Forks – look for cracks or blades that are not aligned.
- Lift Chains – check for excessive or out of place gaps between links.
- Mast – watch how smoothly the mast operates when going up and down. Ask to see how it works with a load as well.
- Tires – look for chunking, radial cracks and tread depth. Make sure the tires are fairly new.
- Battery – for electric forklifts, look at the age of the battery, ask how many hours of use the battery has and measure the voltage.
- Engine – for diesel forklifts check the exhaust emissions.
- Leaks – look along the mast, transmission and radiator for any leaks.
- Safety Features – make sure the horn, seatbelt, lights, brakes, and levers all work.
HOW TO BUY A USED FORKLIFT IN 9 STEPS: LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY INSPECT EQUIPMENT
Sometimes you just can’t convince yourself to spend the extra money on a new forklift — even if it is a lease. Or you have low hours of operation per week and cannot justify spending more money on something that you are only going to be using 20 hours per week…